Saturday 11 February 2012

You Say Raisins, I Say Sultanas

I've been out and about this morning leaving me little time to conjure up a cake for the empty tin before I settle down in front of the fire to watch the Six Nations Rugby Union - I love it!

Usually I'd rustle up either Aunt Nancy's Fruit Loaf or Crunchy Lemon Squares, but I fancied a change.  After leafing through a couple of baking books I found a Rum and Raisin cake that looked simple and quick to make.  The only trouble being that I didn't have enough raisins or any rum!  So substituting sultanas for raisins and apple liqueur for the rum, here we have it...

oh, is that sunken fruit I see?
Sultana and Apple Liqueur Cake
Ingredients
155g sultanas
3 tbsp apple liqueur
185g self-raising flour
150g unsalted butter, cubed
140g soft brown sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten

Method
Put the sultanas and the liqueur in a bowl and leave to marinate for 10 minutes.  Meanwhile melt the butter and sugar together in a small saucepan until the sugar has dissolved - keep a close eye on this and stir frequently.

Sieve the flour into a bowl.  Add the melted sugar mixture to the dried fruit and then add to the flour with the eggs and mix together.  take care not to over beat the mixture.

Pour the mixture into a greased and lined 20cm cake tin and place in oven preheated to 180C for 40 minutes.  Turn cake out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

I've decided to drizzle a little plain icing over the top of the cake, can't wait for it to cool so that I can taste the finished results.

Note: You could, of course, turn this back into a rum and raisin cake by replacing  same quantities of the sultanas and apple liqueur.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...